Who has not heard about the evils of high-fructose corn syrup?
What is high fructose corn syrup?
- UCLA Study Links Brain Damage to HFCS
A recent study [i] by the UCLA Department of Neurosurgery has positively linked high-fructose corn syrup consumption to significant memory and learning impairment our rats. The study tested memory recall and cognitive processing in lab rats that were fed diets high in HFCS. After six weeks on the sugary diet, the rats showed a significant deterioration in THEIR Ability to navigate a simple maze and overall functioning speed THEIR During simple routine tasks.
Researcher Dr. Gomez-Pinilla attributes these results to the increased insulin resistance (a Precursor to type-2 diabetes) caused by the high-fructose diet, stating that ” Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain’s Ability to learn and remember information ” [ii] He adds that “.. insulin can penetrate the blood-brain barrier” causing insulin, a hormone, to “signal neurons to trigger reactions that disrupt learning and cause memory loss.”
- Omega-3s Combat Effects of HFSC on Brain Function
In the study, two groups of lab rats were fed identical diets that contained high levels of HFCS, However one of the groups also Received fatty acid Omega-3 supplementation in the form of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and flaxseed oil. These substances have been Shown to help protected against damage to the brain’s synapses, the chemical connections that support memory and learning.
What can you do?
- Regardless of the source, excessive consumption of all types of sugar can lead to negative health effects like obesity. Significantly limit the amount of all types of sugar you consume.
- Reducing your intake of refined sugars, including high fructose corn syrup, will help cut your risk of obesity and obesity-related diseases Such as type-2 diabetes as well as your brain protected from the Harmful effects of insulin resistance. Significantly limit the amount of refined sugars your consume.
- Completely eliminating high-fructose corn syrup from your diet can be challenging, but try to eliminate it or, at least, limit it as much as possible.
- Add high-quality Omega-3 supplements like Omega Energy EnergyFirst’s, Omega Oil Blend Mix Blended to your diet – these can help you combat the negative effects these sweeteners can have on your brain function.
Also, did you know. . .
Take steps Towards a healthier life today!
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fructose-corn-syrup/AN01588
Princeton University: http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07 /